DermaGlow is a highly effective facial exfoliation procedure designed to trigger the cell regeneration process. It helps rid the face of excess vellus fine hair which can trap dirt and oil, and give the skin a dull look. DermaGlow gives you instantly smooth skin and a flawless glow. This service includes a double cleanse of the face, enzyme, customized serums, Hydrojelly Mask and finishing products. Add on extractions and LightStim LED for greater results.
What is DermaGlow?
Dermaplaning is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that involves using a sterile blade to manually shave off the top layer of dead skin cells and fine vellus hair (peach fuzz) from the face. This process does not affect the hair follicles or the hair growth cycle in any way, so the hair will grow back at the same rate and texture as before. It’s different from shaving because the intent is to improve the appearance of the skin as opposed to the removal of the hair.
Once the vellus hair is removed, will it grow back thicker?
No, this is physiologically impossible. The soft, fine vellus hair will grow back slowly usually in about 4-weeks. There are two types of hair that grow on our bodies: Vellous hair is thin, fine, soft hair that typically covers the entire body. Terminal hair is the coarse hair that grows on the head, face (in men), underarms, legs, and pubic areas.
What areas can be treated?
Dermaplaning is performed on the face only.
How often can you get DermaGlow done ?
Dermaplaning can be performed every 3—4 weeks. Treating the skin in this manner removes about 2-3 weeks worth of dead skin cells. The technician will allow the skin to complete its normal skin cycle of approximately 28 days before repeating the treatment.
Can DermaGlow be performed with a chemical peel or HydraFacial?
Yes. Combining dermaplaning with a chemical peel or HydraFacial can provide deeper exfoliation and more dramatic results, as the peel and HydraFacial can penetrate more deeply into the skin. Dermaplaning can be combined with a chemical peel in the same treatment after the client has experienced both services independently and treatments at least 2 weeks apart.
Who is an ideal candidate and can benefit from DermaGlow?
All skin types can benefit from dermaplaning. Dermaplaning is great for anti-aging clients of all Fitzpatrick types because it provides the instant gratification they are looking for. Plus, the cumulative results from multiple treatments, especially when combined with other modalities, such as chemical peels and corrective home care, will help take years off your appearance. Good candidates for dermaplaning include people with:
- Mild to moderate skin roughness or texture irregularities
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Dull or lackluster skin
- Vellus hair on the face
- Men can be dermaplaned on non-beard areas
Who cannot be treated?
Clients who have or are experiencing:
- Active Acne
- Bleeding disorders
- Clients with diabetes
- Clients undergoing cancer treatment
- Clients with cold sores
- Accutane or Isotretinoin use within 6 months
- Deep chemical peel or laser treatment within 7-14 days
- Sunburn or windburn
What should I do to prepare for my dermaplane treatment?
- Please discontinue products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents etc.) 3-days before treatment.
- No shaving, peels, waxing, or aggressive exfoliators one week prior to Dermaplaning treatments.
- Wait 3-weeks after receiving Botox or Dermal Fillers to receive dermaplaning treatment.
- Avoid facial sun exposure 5-7 days prior to the service.
What can I expect after my dermaplaning treatment and what thing should I avoid?
- You may experience slight redness and swelling, which should resolve within 24-hours.
- Avoid heat, saunas, hot tubs, and sweaty activity for 24-hours; this includes exercise of any kind.
- Avoid products containing any exfoliating agents ( retinoic acid, retinol, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents etc.) for 5-7 days after treatment.
- If irritation occurs after applying the above products, wait a few more days to allow your skin to heal.
- Avoid facial waxing for 7 days.
- Use a gentle cleanser and apply moisturizer twice daily.
- Avoid sun exposure as much as possible for a minimum of 3 days post treatment.
- If you must be in the sun, apply a minimum SPF 30, reapply often, wear hats etc. to protect your face.
- Do apply serums as absorption levels will be optimal.